Wednesday, April 8, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesday- Southern Scramble

Sigh......sorry I missed posting last week. I just got too busy and didn't manage to get a post up last Wednesday. Today I am posting the recipe I would have posted last week. I had planned to do breakfast recipes this month, and I still will, I hope to make up last week's post some other time this month, perhaps next week.
This is what I eat for breakfast, when I am not overly lazy and just pour up a bowl of cereal. I don't particularly like eggs, scrambled is about the only way that I will fix them, and I try to put alot of other things in with the eggs, so I can hardly taste them in the end.
I remember making this when we lived with Tiff's parents and getting some strange looks from my mother in law, but hey don't knock it till you try it. I think it is pretty good and the chips gives me that crunch that plain old scrambled eggs just doesn't have.


Southern Scramble
2 Eggs
Seasoning- I use Tony Cachere's, the container says that it is great on everything, and the container is not wrong
Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Salsa
Shredded Cheese- I typically use Colby Jack, however, I have used Mozzarella or cheddar with great results
Tortilla Chips- I prefer Santitos, no trans fats and I haven't gotten around to making my own yet

Method
I like to have my eggs sitting out for about thirty minutes or so. This allows them to expand just a little, and I think it gives you a fluffier scrambled egg, I read this in a cookbook regarding another recipe so I can't take credit for it.
Next scramble your eggs, I like to use a little olive oil, like Rachel Ray with that stuff I guess, I don't call EVOO though, that annoys me. After your eggs are cooked, go ahead and add your seasoning and sprinkle your cheese on top then throw it in the microwave, or cover it, to let the cheese melt a tad.
Finally top with your chips and salsa and enjoy.
I do sometimes add a little cinnamon, but that is strictly for diabetic reasons, I don't think it really effects the taste either way, but cinnamon does obviously help blood sugar levels.

No comments: