Wednesday, October 28, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesday- Homemade Candy Bars

I originally found this recipe in a Taste of Home magazine. I adapted it and changed it a little, but with this one I have ventured too far away from the original. It is always a hit when I make it, and only recently have I even tried any of it. I will go ahead and apologize for the lack of pictures this week. They are usually headed out the door shortly after I get them finished. The article I read about them in claims that they are similar to Kit Kat Bars, which is why I made them in the first place.  I would argue that they are perhaps similar, but Kit Kat, they are not, as that is my favorite, by far.

Homemade Candy Bars

  • 8 ounces Waverly crackers, divided
  • 1 cup butter, cut up
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
Method
Start by lining the bottom of your pan with crackers. I have tried putting melting chocolate and covering the bottom first, but I didn't hear any results from that time, so I usually don't, besides that just uses more anyway.
Next, melt the butter, I usually use unsalted, but I like unsalted, much better than regular butter for pretty much any type of cooking anyway. However, I am sure that regular salted butter would be just fine, it would just increase the sodium. After the butter is melted suffiecietnly, add the milk and sugars, I find it is easiest to add the graham crackers crumbs last. Stir until the mixture is sufficiently combined. 
Cover the first layer of crackers with roughly half the mix, repeat and then top it all off with final layer of club crackers.
In another pot, or even double boiler, melt your chocolate chips and butterscotch together and add your peanut butter, the smoother your peanut butter brand is, the better this will turn out. 
After everything is melted, pour it over the top layer of crackers and then let that cool a touch on your counter and then place in your fridge for at least an hour for it to set up well. I usually don't have the hour, so I usually just place it in the freezer, room permitting and that seems to work just fine. However,  I wouldn't recommend freezing it.
This is always a hit, the only thing I would like to change is the crackers, I would much rather find a recipe for a wafer, that would be closer to the kit kat wafter. I have considered using those sugar wafers, but I haven't had the chance yet.

No comments: