Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesdays- Hamburger Buns

Yes I spelled Wednesday correctly this time. I must point out that the one who posted the previous comment had been reading the blog as well and hadn't corrected it, or noticed it before last night, besides I can't help it is the only day of the week that is not spelled phonetically.  Anyway, on with the post. Due to recent demand I have decided to make all of March's food posts bread recipes or at least recipes related to bread. I made this first one a couple of weeks ago when I had decided to make some hamburgers for supper. Tiff pointed out that we didn't have any hamburger buns and I replied well, we will just have to remedy that won't we.
A quick search and a couple of minutes later, this is what I came up with; I think they turned out pretty good. I think I will go to these every time I need buns for hamburger or chicken or what have you, I hate buying them from the store, because we never, ever eat all eight of them and they just sit in the cabinets and go bad, I hate to waste food.

Hamburger Buns
1 Cup Warm Water
2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
1 Egg
3 1/4 Cups White Flour
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 Tbsp Salt
1 Tbsp Active Yeast
1 Egg Yolk Plus 1 Tsp Water
Sesame Seeds

Method
First Sprinkle the yeast in your warm water, but do not stir it up, it should get a little bubbly and frothy.  After the yeast starts to proof a bit combine all other ingredients except the sesame seeds and egg yolk wash. After you get everything incorporated, turn your dough out onto your counter or a larger bowl and knead the dough until smooth.
Your work is pretty much done now and all that is left is the waiting. You need to let the dough rise for about an hour, or until doubled in size. Next some people punch the dough down and knead again, but I find this makes your bread a little tougher, or perhaps I am just not doing it right. Anyway, I usually just pat mine down and at the point go ahead and divide the dough into equal parts. The suggestion is to weigh the dough to  make sure you parts are equal, but our scale is our and defunct so I just eyeballed mine. I only made a half batch, so I came out with four buns, but if you make the full recipe you should have eight.
At this point you want to put you divided dough onto whatever you want to bake them on, I used the pizza store, a cookie sheet would work nicely. Cover the buns with a towel and let them rise once again.
Finally preheat your oven up to 375 degrees and them bake your buns for about ten minutes, or until golden brown, slice and enjoy.
I did purposely make mine a little smaller.

No comments: