Friday, February 6, 2009

Think calming thoughts...think calming thoughts.....

So, yesterday Tiff told me that I needed to spend a week away from Talk Radio, Fox News and the like, why you ask? Well its because I tend to get a bit steamed from time to time about the things the government is doing to ruin our lives.  Yeah I really think it is that bad, but anyway, she might have a point, but if I spent a week not listing to anything, I would just be that much more mad when I turned it back on. It's really not that bad, I just have no one to really vent out-loud to except her. Of course she says this to me, but she complains about things all the time, and uses the same argument, that I am the one she can vent too.  Anyway, there are a couple things here lately that have set my blood to boil, and I don't even need someone to point them out to me, I just read the news on Yahoo or some such.
The first is went Al Gore made this statement "There are some things about our world that you know that older people don’t know. Why would that be? Well, in a period of rapid change, the old assumptions sometimes just don’t work anymore because they’re out of date. New knowledge, new understandings, are much more widely available sometimes to young people who are at school, who aren’t weighed down with the old flawed assumptions of the past. Now, don’t get me wrong, your parents and your elders, as you’ve already figured out, know a lot that you can gain from, but in a period of rapid change, there are times when new understandings are more apparent to young people."
He is of course talking about the global warming farce, I mean come on, he is says that 12 year olds are smarter than us grown ups. It would have been priceless had one of the kids mentioned to him that he is also older than they are and in some cases older than their parents, why should they listen to him? Priceless.
Also, if carbon, which is what we are comprised of, is soooooo bad for the environment, then why can companies buy carbon credits? Is uselessly throwing money away going to magically make all the bad carbon go away? Call me a skeptic if you will.
The other is the stimulus bill. Kills me, really. The President mentioned yesterday: “We’re not going to get relief by turning back to the very same policies that in eight short years doubled the national debt and threw our economy into a tailspin,” Obama told the House Democrats. “We can’t embrace the losing formula that offers more tax cuts as the only answer to every problem we face.” Well if he is concerned about national debt, why push a huge spending plan that will dramatically increase the debt?
Full article here.  Also, two days ago on Wednesday,   this:
WILLIAMSBURG, Virginia (Reuters)
"If we do not move swiftly to sign the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act into law, an economy that is already in crisis will be faced with catastrophe," Obama said during a meeting with House of Representatives Democrats attending a retreat in Williamsburg, Virginia.
I did find the whole text of his speech, he seems pretty mad. Again, he bashes Bush, who did make huge mistakes regarding the economy, however, Bush was the past and you can only ride that horse so far.

Talk about putting all your cards out on the table. Sorry I just fail to understand how spending  $335 million for sexually transmitted disease prevention programs is going to somehow help stimulate the economy, that along with a literal ton of other pet spending projects. Besides the Lord has the ultimate std prevention plan, HE came up with before the world even existed....keep it in your pants! The best thing about HIS plan? IT'S FREE!
Now I am no big economist and I had trouble understanding the House Bill I browsed through some of it here. However, I do know that if I spend money on things that I don't need, like Transformers or Batman figures, then I have trouble paying for things that I need like power and food, I have had to return many a toy, as well as other things I didn't need. We don't have that return luxury with this though.  Now, if this bill had tax cuts and capital gains cuts in it, then it would make sense, but spending money we don't have, much of it not immediately is not going to stimulate anything but the government, unless I am just completely confused about it, which could be the case. Really though, it all comes down to whether or not this plan works, the stimulus plans haven't worked so far, will this one? Maybe so, maybe not? I'm just saying.

No comments: