Wednesday, February 25, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesdays- Blueberry Muffins

This is a new recipe I tried it out when I made Special Breakfast a couple of weeks ago. Every Friday I get up a little early and make breakfast, to break up the hum-drum of oatmeal and cereal. Also I like to do special things for my family to show them how much they mean to me, this gives Tip just one more reason to look forward to Friday. They turned out well, better than a mix, for some reason every time I make muffins from a mix, the bottoms burn, I have adjusted the baking temp, used silicone baking pans, everything I can think of, still burnt bottom. I submit there are few things more dissapointing that a burnt muffin bottom. For some reason a few of the muffins had sink holes, where the topping fell into the batter, I don't know what happened there, I did make the batter the night before and it sat in the fridge, but I don't think that would have caused that, who knows.
Anyway, the jury is still out for the perfect muffin recipe, but these were pretty good, I will most likely make them again.

Blueberry Muffins
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
3/4 Cup White Sugar- I substituted Brown....mmmm
1/2 Tsp Salt
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/3 Cup Oil
1 Egg
1/3 Cup Oil
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract- Optional, but I use it in ALOT of my baking
1/3 Cup Milk
1 Cup Blueberries- I used a little more

Topping
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Butter
1/2 Tsp Cinnamon

Method
Combine Flour, Sugar, Salt and Baking Powder. I whisk it for a minute, just to make sure everything gets mixed up well, but I wouldn't consider that to be necessary.
Place oil in a 1 cup measuring device, I used my handy prep bowl that my lovely wife gave me for Christmas. It has cup lines on it, and makes mixing things like this easier, a regular measuring cup would work fine though.
Next add the egg and then fill up the remainder with milk. This will not necessarily give you the amounts listed in the directions, but it is how the recipe stated how to do it. I am sure you could go by those measurements and still have fabulous muffins.
Mix the wet ingredients with the dry and stir or mix with a blender until everything is just incorporated.
Finally fold in the blueberries. Dump them in the middle and the with a spoon bring up the batter over the top of the muffins. You don't want to mash up the blueberries in this process, so perhaps using frozen ones, might work well, I used fresh, because that is what I happened to have on hand.
Now you want to line your muffin pans and pour out the mix, I think I ended up with 12 muffins.
The topping is easy, you just mix everything with a fork and then spoon out over your muffins.

Place them in your oven preheated to 400 degrees and bake for about 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown.


They were enjoyed by all!

2 comments:

Lee Ann said...

What a big girl eating grown up food in a high chair! So cute!

priscilla joy said...

Hi Jeremy & Tiffany,

Hate to bother you guys, but I was curious as to whether or not you guys received your sign off the giveaway from my blog? I sure hope so.
Priscilla