Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What's Cookin Wednesdays- The Dough

Well today's post follows last weeks post. That and I haven't been trying to many new recipes here lately, been focusing on a couple of other things. Anyway, my dough is still a work in progress. The recipe I am going to post today is one I tried out a couple of weeks ago and uses some wheat flour, in an attempt to make it alittle bit more health friendly.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough
1 Package Instant Yeast- I believe it is something like 2 - 21/2 Teaspoons
1 Teaspoon Sugar- I use brown, but the original recipe calls for White, I might try Truvia next, finally found it.
3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour 
3/4 Cup Warm Water- Around 100-115 Degrees
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Teaspoons Olive Oil

The Directions are pretty straight forward.
Mix the Yeast, Sugar, 1 Tablespoon of All-Purpose Flour, 1/4 Cup of Water and let is sit for about five minutes, it should get frothy, otherwise you need to toss it and start again.
Next add in the Wheat Flour, 1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour, Salt, Oil, Rest of the Water and knead for about 8 to 10 Minutes.
You will need to let your dough rest for about 15 minutes then stretch or roll your dough out to the size you are looking for, ours happens to be the pizza stone, I haven't measured the diameter.
Next take a fork and punch some holes in the dough to let the steam escape, otherwise you get bubbles in your dough, very important tip, that is.
Then bake your dough in an oven heated to 450 Degrees for about 5 to 7 minutes, just before it starts to turn brown.
Then top with whatever you like and bake for about 10 minutes, or until you see the crust browning.
 I found the fork tip after I made this one, and as you can see I got bubbles in my crust, oh well it still tasted good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pizza is my favorite! I love homemade but I don't like to make it.

Anonymous said...

I just finished this! We liked it a lot! I just need to figure out how to make my crust crispier in the middle and the pepperoni's crispier...