Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's Cookin' Wednesdays- Fantastic Pizza Sauce

The post today is a little late today. I have been busy on a Valentine's project, more on that tomorrow. Much like bread, we really like pizza in the Clifton household. There are some particularly good pizza places at the beach and there is supposed to be one opening up here in Chipley. However, more and more I am not so big on getting pizza from the chain restaurants, ie. Dominio's or Hungry Howies. I do  still like Papa John's, but we don't have one local. Anyway, over the past several weeks I have been working on a good recipe. I am sharing the first part, the sauce today. It is pretty easy and you can make a big batch at the time, freeze the extra, in fact I think it tastes a little better.
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 6 fluid ounces warm water
  • 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 3/4 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste
Sometimes I will dial back the honey and add just a little bit of brown sugar. However, I did find some Agave Nectar, which is supposed to be a great natural sweetener. I am still working on the crust, this past week I was quite displeased with the recipe I tried, it turned out really thin and didn't seem to get really done all the way through, which was quite odd, oh well you bake and you learn I suppose.

No comments: